Saturday, March 28, 2009

MS Code Camp WiiMote Presentation

Today at Microsoft (Waltham MA) I presented a fun 1st run presentation, that brings together C# and Nintendo Wiiremote. This presentation was based on Brian Peek's Coding4Fun article in which he builds a C# DLL that communicates to the WiiRemote. This prensetation also demonstrates the application of Brian's DLL, with the creative thinking and application by Johnny Chung Lee , with an infra-red light pen to make a new means to interact with a computer and a surface.

In this presentation I demonstrated how to use a WII Remote as a mouse and how to turn any surface into a "touch point". In addition I demonstrated live step by step method on how to build your own InfraRed light pen. (The IR-pen is used inconjuction with the Wii Remote to creation the touch point and mouse like actions.)


For those of you looking for the presentation you can download it here.

I'd really love to hear what you thought of the presentation! If there is interest during the next code camp I can go into greater coding details, on how to implement "multi-touch" or "MS Surface like features", and integration with speech recognition.

...but only if you provide feedback! :-)


--Bryan

2 comments:

Suresh said...

Bryan, it was fun coming to your part of the CodeCamp. I was not sure if I wanted to be in on that. I was thinking of leaving after the completion of 1:30-2:40 session and thought I will give you 10min of my time. And I sat the entire session!
While most of us spend most or all of our time thinking about mundane possiblities with application software development, your presentation was very refreshing. In fact it was challenging me to go about exploring.

I wish I could see a little more details of the software part of the presentation. Please plan to spend a little more time on interfacing and coding part of it. I hope you will have something as interesting next time too and I will be looking forward to it.

devman2k said...

Thanks for the great feedback!

For the next Code Camp that comes along I'll plan on doing 2 presentations: Hardware and Software. During the Software presentation I'll go over the details of the C# code that interacts with the WiiMote